Jeannette Maxfield Lewis Biography

Born in Oakland, CA, Jeannette Maxfield was educated at the Castelleja Girl’s School in Palo Alto.  Having chosen an art career, she enrolled at the California School of Fine Arts where she was greatly influenced by Gottardo Piazzoni.  A short time was spent in NYC as a pupil of Hans Hoffman and as an employee of the Foster & Kleiser Company.  In 1920 she married H. C. Lewis and moved to Fresno.  While maintaining a summer home in Pebble Beach, she studied landscape painting with Armin Hansen.  In 1955 the Lewises moved permanently to their Pebble Beach home.  After her husband’s death in 1964 she abandoned art.  Her works include watercolors, oils, pen-and-ink drawings, pastels, aquatints, and dry point etchings.  Her successful solo exhibition at the California Palace of the Legion of Honor in 1955 brought her national attention and a retrospective of her work was held at the Fresno Art Center in 1979.  Mrs. Lewis died in Monterey on April 22, 1982.